Tuesday, December 1, 2020

Affinity Affiliate Marketing

When I was in college, my undergrad degree was in Human Communication.  Many people in this field go on to be Counselors.  A word I learned was 'homophily".  It means perceived similarity.  For instance, in general, tall, skinny people will be most likely to be attracted to tall skinny people.  People of similar socioeconomic backgrounds tend to be drawn to each other... people who play tennis...  have read the same books...  Any perceived similarities are predictors of attraction.

So, what does this have to do with Affinity Affiliate Marketing?  The question is, "To whom are you
homophilous?"  Aka, who do you have something in common with?  For example, I have had my Life and Health Insurance Licenses twice in my life. I can disclose this and "fully" empathize with people who are struggling to sell these insurance products.  In this industry, there are as many people "starving out" as coming into the industry with wide eyes and eager optimism. But for those struggling, we have something in common, which is a point of "affinity" and I can relate to their pain.

As a retiree, my first part-time job was at Lowe's.  I learned a lot about their organization and the values that drive their decision-making.  There are Lowe's Groups on FB where I can reach out to people and share my experience and (eventually) ask if "they are open to having a look"...  I can go into any Lowe's and talk to anyone about their jobs and their frustrations...

Another example.  I worked in Higher Education for a good portion of my career.  I can relate to the College Community "ethos".  I understand students.  I "get" how Adjunct Faculty get screwed.  I appreciate how Universities are more corporations than schools.  I can talk to people about all of these things.

More examples without explanations:  I grew up in the Lutheran Church.  I was an Ocean Lifeguard for 14 years.  I have sold windows and patio rooms in-home to homeowners.  I managed large Custodial Groups.  Then, there is all of my online experience in blogging, creating funnels, and autoresponder campaigns...

THE QUESTION IS:  What have you done in your life that is the basis of some level of homophily, affinity, or attraction?  "Who" do you have "what" in common with?  Once you have this defined for yourself, make a plan to get "what you have" in front of them... PRECEDED BY BUILDING AFFINITY for you around your common frame of reference.

The assumption here is that you have an Affiliate Offer to propose.  As such, this is Affinity Affiliate Marketing.

Hope it helps.


No comments:

Post a Comment