Saturday, August 15, 2015

Idiots, Tire Kickers and People Who Waste Your TIme

Provocative title?  If I were to paint the world with a very wide brush and allow my jaded skeptical side to be the paint, I could characterize every person who does not "see it" and join our business this way.

However, for better or for worse, I have come to learn and accept that people not "seeing it" boils down to one of three things;

  1. The first is timing.  When your "thing" comes across the awareness of someone who may be potentially interested in your business, it may simply not be the right time in their life.  They may have all the skills and motivation, but due to other things going on in their life, it would simply serve as too much of a distraction to make everything make sense.
  2. The second is lack of commitment and discipline.  To make a business work requires time and effort.  Many (most?) people simply do not have what it takes and can not change their lifestyles to the extent that it takes to focus on business building activities.
  3. The third is skepticism and having been "burnt" in the past, and an overall notion that referral marketing "doesn't work".  I get it.  But the real question in the overwhelming majority of cases it whether the business didn't work, or the person did not work.  If it were easy, everyone would be doing it.
Therefore, I no longer judge people as idiots, tire kickers or people who waste my time.  I take the responsibility of being an educator who needs to explain "why".  If I do not do a compelling job of explaining - and attracting people who understand "why" what I am offering is a great thing to be involved with... I have to look myself in the mirror and ask why that is?

No comments:

Post a Comment